Welcome to my blog! Odd title you say? Yes, maybe, but I bet you would agree with me that life is chaotic! I'm mindful though, in the midst of the chaos, of Colossians 3:17 "Whatever you do, do it all in the name of Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father!" I thank God that my life gets to be chaotic...I know that through the chaos He is transforming me to be more like Him!

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

From Contentious to Contentment - Step 1


It's better to live on the corner of the roof than in a house shared with a contentious woman. Proverbs 25:24

"It's no use crying over spilled milk!" At least that's what I've always heard. So why does it seem I'm always crying over the spilled milk in my life? Of course the "spilled milk" in my life takes the form of a situation I can't control, a decision I don't understand, expectations I've placed on others not met, and a number of other things! The moment things begin to not go as planned is the moment I begin to lose my contentment. I instantly feel my joy depleting! It's so easy to let these circumstances steal my joy and before I know it, I've become this "contentious woman" Proverbs is speaking so boldly of! So how do we keep this from happening?

Step 1 - Count Your Blessings!

Yes, we're going back to the basics here, but think about it. It's impossible to gripe about the things you are busy thanking God for. If it's a situation at work that you're allowing to bother you and steal your joy, what about thanking God that you have a job and how He has provided for you? I know it seems simple, but it can make a world of difference. It can be the difference in going from contentious to contentment in your life.

I suppose the moral of this story is when you're tempted to cry over spilled milk, instead try thanking God that you have the milk in the first place!

"...I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me." Philippians 4:11-13

No comments:

Post a Comment