Welcome to my blog! Odd title you say? Yes, maybe, but I bet you would agree with me that life is chaotic! I'm mindful though, in the midst of the chaos, of Colossians 3:17 "Whatever you do, do it all in the name of Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father!" I thank God that my life gets to be chaotic...I know that through the chaos He is transforming me to be more like Him!

Monday, February 22, 2010

What's Your Boast?

"Some boast in chariots and some in horses, but we will boast in the name of the LORD, our God." Psalm 20:7

Today is the second time I have read this verse this week in my quiet time with God. And even yesterday at church we sang a song by Paul Baloche with these lyrics:

"I will boast in the Lord my God, I will boast in the One who's worthy, I will boast in the Lord my God, I will boast in the One who's worthy, He's worthy!"

I figure God must be trying to teach me something...and so I write.

Why did David use the example of chariots and horses in this verse? When David was the King of Israel, and even all throughout history, Israel was never seen as the best army by the world's standards. Yes, they did some great things and defeated some important adversaries, but it was never because of their glitsy, showy battalion. Quite opposite for the neighboring countries, like Egypt. They had great wealth and fine war chariots which were carried by horses. These war chariots were a dread to those in Israel who lacked faith in their defense. Although Israel didn't have the horses like the others, they chose to declare Jehovah their God as their defense. It had been a sure defense that had never let them down in the past.

Many times it seems like I don't measure up in the world's standards. I don't have the most money, or the best job, or know the most important people. The truth is, apart from God, I don't have anything to boast in, but it's tempting to find things. In today's society, this verse could read quite differently:

"Many boast in wealth, glamour, popularity, & fame, and many in stocks, cars, TV shows, & sports teams, but I will boast in the name of the LORD, my God."

What are you boasting in? What do you talk about most, that's usually your boast. Are you boasting in what God has done and is doing? Is that what you spend most of your time talking about or thinking about? Or do you spend most of your time boasting in YOUR favorite sports team that's having a good season, YOUR favorite TV show that left you hanging last week because they knew you would have to tune in this week, who YOU know, what position you hold at work, how much money you make, what kind of car you drive, or how beautiful or handsome you are?

You see, we can have the pretty horses. We can boast in our money, looks, our status, our friends...but we can be sure we won't see victory.

"The horse is prepared for the day of battle, but victory belongs to the Lord." Psalm 21:31

What about when it comes to "spritually" boasting? That makes it better, right? "I went to church today, I volunteered for this ministry, I served an extra day this week, I gave money to someone who needed it, look how great I am?!" The bottom line is this kind of boasting has nothing to do with God and everything to do with us. But who are we to boast in ourselves? We are sinners, and unholy apart from Christ.

"For all have sinned and fall short of God's glory." Romans 3:23

"Here is a trustworthy statement that deserves full acceptance, that Jesus Christ came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the worst." 1 Timothy 1:15

We haven't done anything. We are nothing apart from Christ. And why would we boast in anything else this world offers? Everything good we have came from God and belongs to God. We didn't get it for ourselves. And it can't truly be our defense. The truth is, we can look for other things to boast in, but if we are boasting in anything other than the LORD, our God, we are setting ourselves us for defeat.

"The horse is prepared for the day of battle, but victory belongs to the Lord." Psalm 21:31

No comments:

Post a Comment